Minutes of General Meeting – September 14, 2021
Call to Order: The Meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM.
Present: LSB Bonnie Buck (Secretary/Treasurer),
Directors: BJ Kapush, Chris Hansen (Acting Chair), Carly Torkkeli (Recreation Coordinator/Director)
Fire Services: Darren Auld
Regrets: Don Boyce, Ryan Lotas
Guests: Sacha Torkkeli, Ron Heinaaho, Lorenz Bosinger
Motion 01/09/21 – Motion to accept the Agenda
– Moved by Carly Torkkeli, seconded by BJ Kapush. Adopted.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting
Motion 02/09/21 – Moved by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Business Arising from previous Minutes:
Helipad upgrade – completed and O’rnge approved
Driveway completed at property on Old Hall Road
Gate installation on driveway on Old Hall Road – cost update is $4,500.00. Motion to approve cost update due to increased cost of steel for construction: Motion 03/09/21 Moved by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted.
Repair update on compactor at Trout Lake Transfer Site – see Transfer Site Report
Recreation Committee update: it was verified by Mike Dunlop (Northern Development Advisor) a Recreation Committee can be developed, with the Recreation Coordinator reporting to the Board on a monthly basis. All decisions regarding the Committee must be approved by the LSB Board.
- Financial Reports
– Motion to approve the Financial Reports.
– Moved by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Correspondence – see new business
- New Business
- i) Existing storage shed at Gorham Ware School. Motion 05/09/21 to donate the shed to the student community for use at the school. Plaque of donation will be hung on shed. Motion to approve Carly Torkkeli, seconded BJ Kapush. Adopted.
- ii) Correspondence from Roman at Lakehead Region Conservation Authority on permission to release aggregate map created in 2017. Motion 06/09/21 to release map to the public as it contains public information. Motion to approve BJ Kapush, seconded Carly Torkkeli. Adopted.
iii) With Covid restrictions, Boards meetings will be contained to Board Members, Fire Chief (or alternative), Recreation Coordinator, LSB Secretary/Treasurer and pre-approved special guests, if required. Meetings will be accessible to the Public through ZOOM access only.
- Recreation Report – Submitted by Carly Torkkeli, Recreation Coordinator
No entrance to use the school facility for recreation activity. There is good response and interest to the Recreation Committee which will be developed in the new fiscal year.
No reply from Federal grant applied for in July – likely no decision will be made until after Federal Election. We are applying for a Trillium Grant, which is 100% funding. Deadline is September 29, 2021.
Because of the new Vaccine requirement, ie, passports, use of the skating change shack will need to be addressed. Possibly solutions are volunteers to be present on days the shack is open to verify vaccination, record and sanitize the area in use. A request for volunteers will be placed in the next Lappe Lantern as well as on social media, and signs will be hung in frequented businesses…Lappe Store, Dawson Store, Ski Centre, WillowSprings, KC Automotive, etc.
It was also suggested to create ‘family skate nights/afternoons’ where no hockey will be allowed. Possibly having bbq/snacks for sale on those times for fundraising for the new recreation areas. Both skate assist seals where destroyed last year – they need to be replaced. And plywood goalies need to be built for shooting pucks at – last year the seals where being used for this. And a safety/rules sign needs to be created for the rink.
Motion 07/09/21 Accepted by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted
- Emergency Services Report – Presented by Darren Auld
Training is starting back up for 21-22. Training is normal; and new helmets and boots are in service.
Motion 08/09/21 Accepted by Carly Torkkeli, seconded by BJ Kapush. Adopted.
- Transfer Site/Waste Facility – Presented by Bonnie Buck
The previous attendant, Blair, was given an early retirement in August from the Transfer Site. A new employee had an issue with the compactor use and it was damaged. Mike for LTL is working on its repair. We did have to close the facility 1 Wednesday due to the repair work being done. Mike reported it is again working but they are still having issues with it. He is also still searching for an Attendant. The Board will invite Mike from LTL to attend a future Board meeting if this needs further discussion.
It was also addressed the shack at the Transfer Site should be maintained for use for the Attendant. Possible heat, screens, etc should be installed for the attendants safety and comfort. The shed needs some general maintenance and upgrades.
Motion 09/09/21 Accepted by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted
- Fire Number Report – Presented by Bonnie Buck/Stephen Garstin (Installer)
Busy summer; lots of new numbers, replacements.
Motion 10/09/21 Accepted by BJ Kapush, seconded by Carly Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Adjournment – Motion 11/09/21 to adjourn – BJ Kapush, seconded by Chris Hansen. Adopted
Meeting adjourned at 7:31 PM.