Minutes of the Budget Meeting – October 26, 2021
- Call to Order
The Meeting was called to order at 7:09 pm.
Present: LSB: Bonnie Buck (Secretary/Treasurer), Chris Hansen (Chair),
Directors: Sacha Torkkeli, Lorenz Bosinger, Ron Heinaaho, Carly Torkkeli (Recreation)
Fire Services: Darren Auld
Regrets: BJ Kapush
– Motion to accept the Agenda
– Moved by Sacha Torkkeli, seconded by Lorenz Bosinger. Adopted.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting
Motion 02/10/21 – Motion to accept the Minutes of the September 28, 2021 By-law Meeting.
Moved by Sacha Torkkeli, seconded by Lorenz Bosinger. Adopted.
- Business Arising from Minutes
- Bylaw 21/22 XVIII – Snowplowing Service Contract with Motion. Motion 03/10/21 – Motion to accept the service contract with Vaillant Services for the 2021-22 snow season. Moved by Ron Heinaaho, seconded by Sacha Torkkeli.
- Signage (including donation sign for shed at school playground and name signs for display units at school) given to Chris Hansen to hang
- Erin Kahkonen doing a fundraiser to sponsor 2 families in the area for December. Lappe Services Board donated $230 ($115 x 2) to sponsor 2 families
- Financial Reports
– Motion to approve the Financial Reports.
– Moved by Lorenz Bosinger, seconded by Sacha Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Correspondence – None
- New Business
- Hockey rink ground cleanup in process with sand being added to the base before flooding. Another timer needs to be added to separate the propane heat and lights timer. Darren will contact Kapush Energy who did the original install to complete that. A new water heater is required – Darren Auld will provide quotes. PPE is purchased and at the storage at the Rink. All signage and PPE needs to be hung. Recreation equipment being stored in the skate shack will be removed to the new Recreation shed which should be completed mid-November. Signage for maximum capacity inside the shack when in use will be created – max 2 people per side or 1 family. Tim Wheeler and Darren Auld will start flooding when its time. We need to add in another camera to include the new shed. BJ Kapush also has the new gate ready for the property and will have them installed. A small cash honorarium will be provided to those volunteers for helping complete the cleanup; Bonnie will provide.
- b) Agreements/Contracts
LSB Funding Agreement for 2021-22 – signed and forwarded to Michael Dunlop for signature
- c) 2021-22 Budget
Each and every individual department budgets were reviewed and discussed. With COVID-19 and a pandemic, new challenges are brought forth. Development of a Recreation Area has become high priority so we are able to continue providing Recreational programs to our residents. Monies for developing the new property on Old Hall Road were discussed. As well, we are in need of another pumper engine for the Fire Department within the next year or 2 due to the age of one of the existing trucks. Inflation has caused an increase in of our expenditures again this year. These concerns were all factored into this year’s budget.
Motion 05/10/20: Motion to accept the 2021-22 Budget
Moved by Lorenz Bosinger, seconded by Ron Heinaaho. Adopted.
The Levy for 2021-22 is set at $348.75/property
An increase of $10.22/property from 2020-21
- Recreation Report – Submitted by Carly Hackborn, Recreation Coordinator
Quiet. The Recreation Committee is up and running. They will be having their 1st meeting within the next few weeks. Planning on a Christmas function for the kids; Santa visit with distribution to 1st 100 kids. This event is planned for Sunday November 28. Also planning an online fishing derby contest. Details will be in the winter lantern edition.
Motion 06/10/21: Motion to accept: Sacha Torkkeli, seconded by Lorenz Bosinger. Adopted.
- Emergency Services Report – Darren Auld, Fire Chief
2 new rookies, possibly a 3 starting training this week. Couple response calls this month. Starting live fire training this week. Darren Auld will discuss plowing on the helipad this winter ensuring no damage to the tarmac.
Motion 07/10/20: Motion to accept: Ron Heinaaho, seconded by Sacha Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Waste Facility
BJ Kapush will grade the road and add material, if necessary.
Motion 08/10/21: Motion to accept: Lorenz Bosinger, seconded by Sacha Torkkeli. Adopted.
- Fire Number Report – Stephen Garstin, Fire Number Installer – we had a request this summer to install an A and B on a driveway. Completed and the other owner contacted us to report they own the property and there is no access on their driveway so want it returned to just their number which we did. Future we will check with both parties before adding A-B divisions.
- Adjournment – Motion 09/10/21: Motion to adjourn – Sacha Torkkeli, seconded by Ron Heinaaho
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM
NEXT MEETING – November 16, 2021 7:00 PM