LAPPE AND AREA LOCAL SERVICES BOARD
Minutes of the Meeting – January 15, 2019
- Call to Order
The Meeting was called to order at 7:03 pm.
Present: LSB: Bonnie Buck (Secretary/Treasurer), Don Boyce (Chair), Directors: Chris Hansen, Ryan Lotas, Carly Hackborn (Recreation Director)
Fire Services: Darren Auld
Regrets: BJ Kapush
Guests: Lorenz Bosinger, John McCuaig, Rick Baratta, Deanna Owen, Fred Foreman
- Agenda Motion 01/01/19
– Motion to accept the Agenda – Moved by Ryan Lotas, seconded by Chris Hansen. Adopted.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting Motion 02/01/19 – Motion to accept the Minutes of the November 20, 2018 Moved by Ryan Lotas, seconded by Chris Hansen. Adopted.
- Business Arising from Minutes
- Financial Reports Motion 03/01/19
– Motion to approve the Financial Reports.
– Moved by Chris Hansen, seconded by Ryan Lotas. Adopted.
– Letter from Michael Gravelle, MP
- New Business a) John McCuaig, a local resident, expressed his concerns of the current blasting events happening in and around Surprise Lake. John discussed facts and thoughts of the long-term damage being done by the blasts and looked to the LSB for helpful solutions or thoughts on the matter. The Board suggested a letter can be drafted and forwarded to the companies involved requesting advance notice of blasting in way of email to the LSB as these events cause stress on our Emergency Fire Services with calls regarding the events – preparation for them would be helpful for both LSB and local residents.
- b) Lappe Lantern – contract renewal
Suzanne Mosley has decided not to renew her contract with the LSB/Lappe Lantern. The Board has decided to keep the Lantern production in-house, Secretary/Treasurer (Bonnie Buck) will take over its creation/distribution. Don Boyce will contact Suzanne regarding the changes and ask that any materials, licensing, etc be returned to the LSB.
Motion 04/01/19 To accept the move of the Lappe Lantern to in-house production
Moved by Chris Hansen, seconded by Carly Hackborn. Adopted.
- c) Bylaw 18/19 – XIII – Financial Statement – audit draft review from MNP
Motion 05/01/19 Motion to accept the draft copy of the Audit provided by MNP
Moved by Chris Hansen, seconded by Carly Hackborn. Adopted. b) Minutes Lappe – January 15, 2019
- d) Snowplowing Contract: The Secretary/Treasurer (Bonnie Buck) had questions regarding the current parameters of the contract. Mainly are there any parameters on frequency of plowing (for example if there is a 1” snowfall) and should there be notice of when they are plowing? Fred Foreman, who is the current contractor, was present. It was concurred that Fred it doing a great job. These questions were for payment purposes only; as the Treasurer, clarification is requested. In summation, it was decided the removal is to the Contractor’s discretion, and in renewal of any new snow removal contracts, contracts should be reviewed by the Board and any clarification of such contracts shall be added upon renewal.
- f) Home & School Association approached the Secretary/Treasurer and asked if the LSB could assist (in principle support only) in the purchase of some appliance improvements for the Community Kitchen, namely a commercial dishwasher and new range hood, if a donation was made to the LSB for Community Kitchen improvements. As well, they are needing storage space outside. Carly Hackborn (Recreation Director) will contact Erin Kakonen and chat about outside storage. The Board believes any improvements to the kitchen would be beneficial to any future programs therefore offer full support (in principle only). They will address it as funds are raised to purchase, and verify with Gorham Ware School on such improvements.
- Recreation Report – Submitted by Carly Hackborn, Recreation Coordinator
Dance is starting for Winter session, 10 weeks. There are 3 Birthday parties booked in January/February and a Memorial Service. T-Ball and Soccer registration will start soon, Carly is organizing that. Carly is considering moving the wrap-up parties to Labour Day weekend and holding it at the Lappe Ski Centre. Having one large party prior to the start of the school year.
Motion 06/01/19: Motion to accept: Chris Hansen, seconded by Ryan Lotas. Adopted.
- Emergency Services Report – Darren Auld, Fire Chief
This year has been turning out to be very busy. From September to date we had 42 calls ranging from first aid calls to structure fires. Unfortunately, some structures were complete losses and others were 95% saves. Training is still going as planned. We are still trying to set up another structure for a spring time live training burn. Right now we have 1 firefighter enrolled to get her Fire Officer Level 1 (Brooke), 2 to get their Officer Lever 2 (myself and Tim) and one getting his Office Level 3 (Bill). We will be going to Alexandria to complete the testing for the officer courses. This past weekend we also had 2 pass the ice/water rescue call training as well.
We have one new recruit start this past Wednesday. Usually we do not take on new recruits this time of year but he was very keen on wanting to join.
Propane provider has been switched from Superior Propane to Propane Solutions. They were able to provide us with a cheaper price and with both propane and the tank rentals.
Other than the amount of calls and training, no major problems. All going smoothly.
Motion 07/01/19: Motion to accept: Chris Hansen, seconded by Carly Hackborn. Adopted.
- Waste Facility, Presented by Don Boyce
Possibility of bringing in a loader to remove snow and shovel out the gates so they open/close properly. Recycling bins are overflowing with plastic; not much cardboard. As the divider between these 2 bins can be adjusted, Don will discuss with LTL when the bins are next emptied and possibly adjust the bin sizes at that time. Batteries on the generators are also not charging and holding in the cold. Don is going to suggest a small solar panel charger.
Motion 08/01/19: Motion to accept: Ryan Lotas, seconded by Carly Hackborn. Adopted.
- Fire Number Report – Stephen Garstin, Fire Number Installer
- Adjournment – Motion 09/01/19: Motion to adjourn – Chris Hansen, seconded by Carly Hackborn. Meeting adjourned